Hudson Valley Home Matters Needs Your Help!
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of others? Well you can!
HVHM is looking for people who want to spend time helping others
whether a few hours a week or longer
- whatever fits your schedule
Volunteers are the heart of our
organization. They provide the
many different services to our members with friendly enthusiasm and compassion.Volunteers work based upon their availability. Whether you can help once or more per week or only once per month, your efforts mean a lot to our members. Members often comment on the generosity, friendliness and
enjoyment they receive from their contact with our HVHM volunteers. And
volunteers often tell us how happy they are to give their time and
effort to helping!
What do Volunteers Do?
Volunteers are needed for a variety of services. Some of our volunteer services include:
Local Transportation - to doctor or other appointments, errands, etc.
Shopping - Shop for a member at a local store
- Light Handyman - Help with small repairs around the home. Also, help in identifying what repairs need to be done by a contractor if necessary. Handyman tasks can be as simple as replacing a smoke detector battery or light bulb to larger repairs and installations. It all depends on the job required and the volunteer's ability and skills.
- Friendly visits - to help reduce isolation and loneliness
- Phone calls - Contact members to check on them in times of bad weather or just to let them know about upcoming HVHM events
- Organization - help organize paperwork, bills, or belongings
- Office Support - Data entry, help with mailings to members and others
- Social Event Planning - Help arrange and/or support attendance at HVHM events
- Board Member - Join the Board and help the organization grow, plan events, programs, etc.
Do you have special interests, skills or experience that you'd like to offer as a volunteer? We're always happy to speak with you about how our your talents can help.
How does a HVHM member request volunteer services?
Our members call the HVHM office and make a specific request for a service. Our Member Services coordinator, Christine McNamara, contacts a Volunteer to check on their availability. If the Volunteer is available, the Volunteer will contact the Member directly to make further arrangements for time, place, etc. If when contacted, a Volunteer is not available to help, Chris will contact other Volunteers to check on their availability until an available person is found.
What is needed to become a HVHM Volunteer?
We have an obligation to assure members of their safety, so all Volunteers are required to complete a background check. If that person will be driving members in their car, a DMV check of their license will also be performed by HVHM. Minimum car insurance is required.
Print the form, complete it and mail to:
Hudson Valley Home Matters
P O Box 2734
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
If you have additional questions and need more information, call our office at 845-452-4846. You'll receive great satisfaction in helping our seniors remain independent in their homes and communities.
You can make a difference! Call us today! 845-452-4846